What's needed to brew my first batch of beer at home?
To make 4-5 gallons of beer, you will need:
- One 5 to 6 gallon-size pot (enameled canning pot or stainless steel is best)
- One 5 or 6 gallon size carboy
- One 5 or 6 gallon size plastic bucket - food grade
- One 6 foot length of food grade plastic hose, 3/8" inside diameter
- One rubber stopper with hole for fermentation lock
- One large funnel
- One Thermometer (Alcohol Meter)
- One Beer Hydrometer
- One Bottle Capper
- Beer Bottles and Caps - (Twist top beer bottles won't work)
- 3/4 Cup Corn Sugar
- You will find the majority of these above items included in our Beer Brewing Kit or Recipe Kits at www.StAugustineBeerBrewing.com
Does it take long to brew beer at home?
About 3-4 weeks.
Is it very difficult to brew beer at home?
No, with a little time and effort, you can make some of the best beer you ever drank.
Is brewing beer at home legal?
You can make beer for your personal use up to 100 gallons per individual or 200 gallons per household a year. By federal law, homebrewing is subject to state laws; but since brewing laws are generally to tax commercial breweries, we know of no one that has been arrested or fined for home brewing in the past 20 years.
What kind of water should I use?
Good bottled water, if you don't like the taste of your tap water. Distilled water is not recommended as it doesn't contain minerals that make for a good beer taste.